Sacred Heart: Why Sports Matter
As the winter sports regular seasons wind-down and playoffs begin, and as our college semester reaches the half-way point and spring break approaches, I would like to take a moment and reflect upon the experience of covering Sacred Heart Irish Athletics.
I can confidently say that it has been a great pleasure and privilege to follow the Irish and to engage with the Sacred Heart community this year. So far, both basketball teams have performed at high levels, and I cannot wait to see how far they make it in the playoffs. Track and baseball approach, two sports that I played growing up. I was never any good at baseball, so I stopped after the 8th grade (and then started Track my freshman year of high school).
Being able to watch and follow as the student-athletes of Sacred Heart Academy achieve and surpass their goals has reiterated the importance that sport has, and has reaffirmed my desire to work in the sport industry. I've long held that sports has a special way of uniting people, both athletes and non-athletes. Sports can bring families together, as it did to mine on many occasions. It can bring communities together in trying times. Just look at Houston after hurricane Harvey or Chicago after the Cubs finally won a title. Nearly one million people came together to celebrate in the midst of one of the most divisive elections in our nation's history.
Following the Irish has reminded me of many of the great memories and hard lessons I learned through sports. It has reminded me of all the early mornings and late nights, and of the fantastic experiences I got to share with family and friends. Most of all, it has reminded me that Sports matter, a lot, and I am very much looking forward to the next eight weeks of covering Irish Athletics.
I can confidently say that it has been a great pleasure and privilege to follow the Irish and to engage with the Sacred Heart community this year. So far, both basketball teams have performed at high levels, and I cannot wait to see how far they make it in the playoffs. Track and baseball approach, two sports that I played growing up. I was never any good at baseball, so I stopped after the 8th grade (and then started Track my freshman year of high school).
Being able to watch and follow as the student-athletes of Sacred Heart Academy achieve and surpass their goals has reiterated the importance that sport has, and has reaffirmed my desire to work in the sport industry. I've long held that sports has a special way of uniting people, both athletes and non-athletes. Sports can bring families together, as it did to mine on many occasions. It can bring communities together in trying times. Just look at Houston after hurricane Harvey or Chicago after the Cubs finally won a title. Nearly one million people came together to celebrate in the midst of one of the most divisive elections in our nation's history.
Following the Irish has reminded me of many of the great memories and hard lessons I learned through sports. It has reminded me of all the early mornings and late nights, and of the fantastic experiences I got to share with family and friends. Most of all, it has reminded me that Sports matter, a lot, and I am very much looking forward to the next eight weeks of covering Irish Athletics.

Comments
Post a Comment